Friday, December 14, 2012

I Was Pretty Sure

Almost ten years ago now, I graduated high school. The early Arizona summer was in full swing so the school provided water so that we would all be good and hydrated. At the table where the water cups were stood my sophomore geometry teacher, whom I had liked very much. Jokingly, I asked her, "Never thought I'd make it, did you?" To which she replied rather matter-of-factly, "No, I was pretty sure you were going to make it." I have thought about that experience ever since that day. Even my flippant disregard for my own abilities was met with an attitude of confusion and disbelief. She believed in me, she had always believed in me, and made sure that I knew it. I don't even remember her name, but I remember her face and her words.

The musical Les Miserable contains within it a song called Bring Him Home, a very touching song about one man's wish for another's well-being, even at the expense of his own. He pleads for God to give rest, peace and life to the poor soul whom he loves dearly. His plea is similar to Christ's plea for all of us. Even in his pronouncement that Marius is like the son he might have known, he is echoing the words of King Benjamin in the Book of Mormon that we become the sons and daughters of Christ through faith. If you listen to it from this perspective, Christ is pleading for each of us to return to Heavenly Father, even at the expense of His own life.

The story of the Candy Bomber is one that I love. One soldier who orchestrated a world-wide effort to deliver not only candy to the children of East Berlin, but also hope. The candy represented much more than momentary pleasure for the recipients. It represented love from some unknown person, and undoubtedly came in moments of desperate need to buoy up the spirits of those caught in the turmoil of the time.

Jesus Christ can be each of these things to us in times of need and in times of plenty. He can be that voice that says, very bluntly, "I know you can do it." He is our advocate, pleading our cause, aching for our return home so that He may embrace us and show us how very much He loves us. He can be our Candy Bomber, dropping packages in the form of the right person or word at the right time. Sometimes, He simply wants us to know that there is indeed someone out there, closer than we may think, who loves us. The thing is, He is always there, speaking, pleading and gifting. Sometimes, though, we may turn a deaf ear, turn prideful or be blinded by the turmoil in our own lives, missing the sweet things raining down on us from Heaven.

I have often wondered why it is so important that Christ came as a child, and why we celebrate it. I think it is imperative to understand that Christ came as He did precisely so that He could be the Advocate we need. What better advocate than one who can say, "I have stood where they stand, and can testify of their tribulations"? It is the very fact that He grew from an infant to the Man who died on the cross that He can be our Savior. Were it any other way, He could not be who He is. That is why we celebrate His birth. That is why we celebrate His life. That is how He can succor us. May we open our eyes, ears and hearts to our Savior, especially at this season. Merry Christmas, and God bless us, every one.

1 comment:

  1. Love this post! You must have been able to enjoy the Mormon Tabernacle Christmas Concert last night. It was WONDERFUL! I LOVED the Candy Bomber story, it is beautiful, simply and powerfully beautiful! Thanks for sharing your words and testimony! -Jen Harmon

    ReplyDelete